This is my go-to chunky tomato sauce whenever I need something delicious in a hurry – This recipe is infinitely adaptable, and variations on the theme end up in a lot of our dishes.
Use fresh tomatoes if you can – preferably super red ripe ones that are on the verge of going off – but if your tomatoes aren’t as ripe as you had hoped, you can help them along with a splash of balsamic vinegar and an extra teaspoon of sugar.
Spicy asian tomato relish
- oil, for frying
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 1 cm fresh ginger, mashed
- 2 tbsp miso
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3-4 very ripe tomatoes, diced.
- A splash Balsamic vinegar (optional) Use if you are using not-quite-ripe tomatoes
- Fry the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the miso and tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes start breaking down and thickening - about 15 minutes. If your tomatoes aren't super ripe and need a little help, add a splash of balsamic and an extra teaspoon of sugar.
- This recipe can be adapted a million ways - you can add white wine, herbs, spices, thicken with cornstarch, dilute with coconut milk, the sky's the limit. Delicious just like that on pasta with some grated parmesan.