Simple delicious food; roasted veggies with some fun toppings.
Pretty much nabbed from one of Yotam Ottolenghi’s cookbooks, NOPI, with a few personal touches.
Roast butternut with ginger tomatoes and lime yoghurt
- 1 Butternut, halved and sliced into 1cm slices but not peeled
- 6 Ripe red tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3cm Ginger, crushed or grated
- 3 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed or grated
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic or Apple vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Greek yoghurt
- 1/4 Tsp Crushed cardamom seeds
- Crispy fried onions and fresh coriander, to garnish.
- Preheat oven to 230C.Toss the butternut slices with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Throw them in the baking tray.
- Mix the ginger, garlic, sugar and vinegar together to make a paste.Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise, place skin side down on the tray and spread the paste on the cut surface.Bake the whole lot for like, ages, until the tomatoes are shriveled and caramelized. You might want to take the butternut out before then, check it after 45 mins or so.
- While they are cooking, mix the yoghurt with the lime juice and the grated zest and add a pinch of salt.Once ready, decant the veggies into a serving tray, dollop yoghurt and top with crispy onions and some fresh coriander.