This is a popular vegetable side dish, with the fragrant sweet flavours of soy and sake reminiscent of Kinpira, a strong and dashing mythical hero of ancient Japan.
This is a quick and delicious side dish that pairs well with the Oyako Donburi.
This can also be used as a companion for drinking saké.
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into julienne strips about 5x5mm
- splash odourless oil
- nanami togarashi (7 spice) to garnish Can use red pepper flakes if not available.
- 2 tbsp Sake
- 2 tbsp naturally brewed soya sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Fry the carrots in a small amount of oil over high heat until starting to soften, about 4 minutes. Mix all the sauce ingredients together and add to the frying pan, and continue frying until the sauce has almost completely reduced.
- Sprinkle with the nanami or red pepper flakes and serve hot or at room temperature, as a side dish or a companion for drinking saké.