Gorgeous bright green fritters, the spinach really shines here. We have a sweet old lady who sells fresh spinach in the main road of grahamstown, so we often find ourselves with lots of Swiss chard and no idea what to do with it 🙂
You can totally leave out the fish if you want a vegetarian option, or just feel like something cleaner 🙂
Swiss chard and sardine fritters
- 1 Bunch spinach/swiss chard
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 Cup Flour (approx)
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Heaped tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Handful parsley
- 2 Large eggs
- 200g Sardines, tuna, pilchards or any other cooked fish
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Remove the leaves from the stalks. Wilt the spinach leaves in a large pan, then blend in a food processor with the eggs, garlic, parsley and flour.
- Chop the chard stalks and onions and fry until soft with the nutmeg, salt, pepper, sugar. Blend in the food processor with the rest is of the ingredients. Add more flour if too sloppy, or another egg if too stiff at this point.
- Mash the sardines or other fish roughly with a fork, stir into the spinach mixture, and fry in small patties until brown on both sides.
- Serve with labneh or avo or another creamy thing to top.