A stunner of a bake, kinda halfway between a quiche and a savoury cake… Feel free to leave out the ham for a vegetarian version. This is quick, easy, makes loads and can easily be the main item at a dinner party.
Leek and sweet potato cake
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large (0,5m) leeks, sliced thinly
- 0.5 kg orange sweet potato, cubed can use butternut if you can't get orange sweet potato
- olive oil
- 150g ham or bacon, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup wholewheat flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 tsp hot paprika
- 2 tsp dried sweet basil can use fresh basil
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1 cup yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 200C.Microwave steam the sweet potato for around 5 minutes, until almost soft but still retaining a bite.
- Fry the onion, leeks and ham in olive oil until soft and fragrant, around 10-15 minutes. Add the garlic and fry another 2 minutes. Season with salt and set aside.
- Mix the batter ingredients together, you want something thats pourable but not runny. If it's too stiff, add some more yoghurt, if too runny add a bit more flour.
- Mix the steamed sweet potato cubes, the leeks and the batter together in a mixing bowl, and pour into a lined baking tray or pot with a lid. Bake, covered, for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake another 10 minutes.Let sit outside the oven to settle for 10 minutes before serving.