Grilled aubergine with smoked salmon and spicy tomato relish
There are few things in life more wonderful and comforting than grilled aubergine and salmon - this is the ultimate healthy comfort food, an explosion of delicious for a quick Saturday lunch with friends. We used smoked salmon offcuts, but you can use anything you can get your hands on. Fresh salmon will work, just remember to season it with a bit of soya sauce, as it's not as salty as smoked salmon.
- 2 Medium aubergines
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Tahini
- Olive oil
- 3-4 Ripe red tomatoes, chopped into small cubes
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 Onion
- 1 Sprig Fresh rosemary
- 1 Red chilli
250 g smoked salmon - if using fresh salmon dress with a tablespoon of naturally brewed soya sauce
Baby spinach leaves
Black sesame seeds (garnish)
- Slice the aubergines into 1cm thick slices. Preheat a grill pan or indoor grill until very hot.
- Mix the tahini 50/50 with olive oil, throw in some salt and black pepper and brush on the aubergines with a pastry brush.
- Grill on both sides until the aubergines are well cooked and creamy inside - if you pick one up by its edge, it should be floppy. No harm in tasting one just to make sure 🙂
- Fry the rosemary, chilli, onion and garlic in a medium saucepan until the onions are soft, then add the tomatoes, turn down the heat and simmer until the tomatoes start breaking down and thickening, about 15 minutes. Add half a teaspoon each of sugar and salt.
- Line your plates with baby spinach leaves. Arrange your aubergines on the leaves, with about 30% overlap. Top with the tomato relish, then the smoked salmon, and garnish with black sesame seeds. Goes well with a crisp dry white wine.