A glorious feast of a salad, this elevates the already fantastic kale to new heights. We added some smoked chicken for protein, but feel free to substitute for a poached egg or some chickpeas.
The idea of marinating kale comes from Yotam Ottolenghi’s fabulous book “SIMPLE”, and its a fabulous one – it takes away all the sharpness from the kale, and infuses it with loads of delicious flavours. And the bonus of eating it “raw” means that you don’t lose any of the vitamin C.
Marinated kale with avo and roast veggies
- 1 large bunch curly kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 glug olive oil (about 2 tbsp)
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- juice and zest of a lemon
- 1 green chilli, chopped (Optional)
- 300g Roasting veggies of your choice – we used butternut, red onion, zucchini, green and red pepper If using hard veggies and soft ones, then pre-cook the hard veggies in the microwave first.
- 1 ripe avo, cut into slices
- 1 smoked chicken breast Or your protein source of choice, see above.
- 1 tbsp toasted seeds
- 2 tbsp double thick yogurt, to serve
- If using an oven, preheat to 200C. If you have an air fryer, no need.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Kale together in a large bowl, and massage with your hands for around 5 minutes, until the kale leaves have started to wilt and everything is evenly coated. Leave to marinade for 30 minutes.
- While this is on the go, precook any hard veg eg. butternut in the microwave, and then throw the veg together with some salt and pepper into a hot oven or air fryer. Roast until golden and crunchy outside and soft inside.
- Once the kale is marinated, layer everything together, sprinkle seeds on top, and add a final drizzle of olive oil. Put a blob of yogurt on top once dished.